Since the development of computers and other electronic systems like Laptops and mobiles, the need for a memory system has gained much importance. DDR3 and DDR3L are the most advanced form of computer memory technology that have solved the issues of storage in electronic systems.
Despite many similarities, there are several differences between DDR3 and DDR3L. The main difference between these types is the power consumption. DDR3L consumes less power as compared to DDR3. Let us discuss the significant differences between DDR3 and DDR3L.
What is DDR3?
DDR is the abbreviation of Double Data Rate 3, a descendant of DDR2 and an ascendant of DDR4. This type of memory technology assists in increasing the capacity of the memory of computer systems. It can improve memory capacity by up to 8GB.
A power of up to 1.5 V is necessary for DDR3 functioning. It requires less power as compared to DDR2, which makes it more efficient and reliable. Moreover, DDR3 has the fastest data rate, which can transfer too much data in a few seconds.
- Compatible with 1.5 voltage supply
- Fast data transfer rate
- Backward compatibility
- Descendant of DDR2
What is DDR3L?
DDR3L is the short form of Double Data Rate 3 Low, which consumers can operate at low power, as its name shows. DDR3L is more reliable than variant DDR3 because it can save consumers energy and work at a fast rate.
Moreover, it can operate at a low voltage of up to 1.35 volts. DDR3L is most commonly used in Laptops, mobile phones, and many other energy-saving devices. This model has more data storage capacity with low voltage requirements.
- Low voltage operating system
- Power saver
- More memory capacity
- Fast data transfer speed
Main Differences between DDR3 and DDR3L
- DDR3 requires more electric power as compared to DDR3L.
- DDR3 works at a minimum power of 1.5 V, whereas DDR3L works at a minimum power of 1.35 V.
- DDR3 is mostly used in computer systems, while DDR3L is mostly used in laptops and mobile phones.
- DDR3 produces more heat in the system as compared to DDR3L.
- DDR3 has a slower data transfer rate than DDR3L because of power consumption.
- DDR3 is less expensive as compared to DDR4.
- DDR3L is more reliable than DDR3 because of its features.
Comparison Chart Between DDR3 vs. DDR3L
|Full form||Double Data Rate 3||Double Data Rate 3 Low|
|Voltage compatibility||1.5 Volts||1.35 Volts|
|Useful in||PCs||Laptops and Smartphones|
In a nutshell, we can say that DDR3 and DDR3L are pretty different. They are different in terms of their capabilities. However, in this present era, DDR3 and DDR3L have become extinct as DDR4 and DDR5 have replaced them.