Desktop computers, for most people, are large and bulky machines that they only use at home. However, with the popularity of laptops, desktop computers have become a dying breed. The main difference between the two is that Desktop computers are large and stationary, whereas Laptop computers are portable and small laptops.
What is Desktop Computer?
A Desktop computer is a large and heavy box that houses the main circuit board (i.e., motherboard) and power supply unit. It also includes a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
Although bulky in size, it is easy for users to upgrade by simply opening the case. It has excellent storage, more powerful processors, a larger memory capacity, and a more prominent display with higher resolution. You can also get more ports and upgrade the graphics card.
Advantages of Desktop Computer
- It is easy to upgrade.
- A larger display with a higher resolution.
- Easier to Set-Up / Connectivity
- More storage capacity and more powerful processors than laptops.
- It is easy to troubleshoot and perform general maintenance.
Disadvantages of Desktop Computer
- Requires large space for setup.
- Cumbersome to transport.
- Requires more power to run
- Computers are bulky and hard to grip.
- Requires more amount of power to operate.
Read More: HDD vs SSD – What is the Difference?
What is Laptop?
A laptop or notebook computer is a small, portable personal computer with a “clamshell” form factor, in which the flat display closes over the keyboard.
Laptops are generally lighter than desktop computers and usually more expensive due to their size, materials used, and engineering expenses. It is easy to carry around, but upgrading these machines is complicated. It has smaller storage, less powerful processors, and less memory capacity than desktop computers.
Advantages of Laptop
- It is easier to carry.
- It enables users to access information anywhere and anytime.
- Faster boot-up time.
- More portable than Desktop computers.
- Better battery life.
Disadvantages of Laptop
- It carries less storage.
- Smaller keyboard and touchpad
- Less powerful processors than desktop computers
- Lacks upgradability – not easy to open and upgrade RAM, hard drive, etc.
- You have to carry a charger around.
Key Differences between Desktop Computer and Laptop
- A laptop or notebook computer is a small, portable personal computer with a thin LCD, while most desktop computers are large, bulky, and have a separate monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
- Laptops are portable computers with an attached keyboard. A laptop is smaller than a typical desktop computer, and the attached keyboard makes it easier to type on.
- Desktop computers are commonly used for gaming, watching movies, and business purposes, while laptops are utilized for school or work purposes.
- Desktop computers can also be referred to as towers, containing multiple components like a motherboard, a central processing unit (CPU), a graphics card, and RAM.
- On the other hand, laptops are not as customizable as desktop computers because they generally contain a single board and more processors.
- Desktop computers typically have multiple wires leading to them – an AC adapter, power cable, USB.
- Additional wires are needed to connect the computer to the monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and other peripherals. Laptop computers have only one or two wires.
- Desktop computers require extensive and some laptops use a new graphics card that consumes more power than an older graphics card, requiring a cooling fan and large batteries.
If you need to do computing tasks that require more memory or high-performance graphics or processor cards, a desktop computer is often a better solution. However, if you need to transport the Computer from place to place laptop is the best choice.